This is a developing story. Please help WikiTribune keep the article up to date as more information becomes available.
A 28 year old man appeared in court on March 16 on murder charges, and has been remanded in custody without plea until April 5.
At around 1:40pm local time on Friday March 15 a gunman entered the Masjid Al Noor Mosque in central Christchurch and opened fire. Nearby Linwood Mosque was also then targetted.
It has been reported multiple improvised explosive devices located on vehicles have been found and made safe.
Police Commissioner Mike Bush said 41 people died at the Masjid Al Noor mosque, seven at the Linwood Avenue mosque, with another victim later dying in hospital.
Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand’s Prime Minister, said the shootings “can only be described as a terrorist attack.”
“This is one of New Zealand’s darkest days,” said Ms. Ardern. “There is no place in New Zealand for such acts of extreme and unprecedented violence.”
Mr. Bush said that four people had initially been arrested under suspicion of being involved with the attacks- of the four, one has been charged with murder and two remain in custody. The other, who had been found armed at the scene, has been released- they were an armed member of the public seeking to help police.
The attack on the Al-Noor mosque was live-streamed to Facebook by one of the attackers together with a “manifesto” of his views. The footage has since been taken down. Police have asked that the public respect the victims by not re-publishing the footage.