WikiTribune’s engaged, collaborative community, as well as its editorial approval process, should mean that incorrect information or errors are limited and quickly addressed by staff or the audience. When errors do occur, we need your help please to identify and fix errors and issue clarifications.
• The HISTORY associated with every story on WikiTribune should make it clear what is being changed and when, and prevent errors being corrected without notification. Corrections will also show up on RECENT CHANGES.
• Clear corrections will be made to errors of fact or where clear meaning was lost, not for minor typographical errors.
• We encourage community members to clearly label any factual error they fix as CORRECTED in the Edit summary.
• WikiTribune staff are instructed to be open about any errors and to correct them transparently within the body of the story, both in the same place the error occurred and in the associated notes which appear in HISTORY. For example: [Corrected: 92 percent of those who voted agreed with Catalan independence, not 92 percent of Catalans]
• In DEVELOPING stories which may be updated many times over several days, corrections made to earlier versions should be collated in the Sources & References section which users see at the bottom of stories. For example: [A previous version of this story was corrected: 92 percent of those who voted agreed with Catalan independence, not 92 percent of Catalans.]
The corrections policy will evolve based on experience, media industry best practice and the input from the WikiTribune community.
Corrections policies from other media organizations we think add value include:
– Reuters News Agency Handbook of Journalism
– The Washington Post
– An article from the American Press Institute on corrections
To talk to us about corrections, or suggest a correction you cannot add yourself, please use TALK on this page or send an email, preferably with a link to the item and a description of the correction or amplification you believe is necessary to: [email protected]
Be the change. Support WikiTribune's mission to fix the news - Jimmy WalesSupport us