President Donald J. Trump has updated his travel ban to include restrictions on people from North Korea, Chad, and Venezuela entering the United States.
People from eight countries will now face restrictions after Trump announced the new security measures on Sunday.
“We are taking action today to protect the safety and security of the American people by establishing a minimum security baseline for entry into the United States,” Trump said in a statement on Sunday.
“Making America safe is my number one priority. We will not admit those into our country we cannot safely vet,” Trump then said in a tweet.
Making America Safe is my number one priority. We will not admit those into our country we cannot safely vet. https://t.co/KJ886okyfC
- The countries returning to the list of restrictions are Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria, and Yemen.
- The countries being added are North Korea, Chad, and Venezuela.
- Sudan, which was previously on the ban list, will no longer be subject to travel restrictions.
- The new restrictions are tailored on a country-by-country basis and will be somewhat fluid; U.S. officials have said that new countries will be added and removed from the list based on security conditions.
- While, according to Axios, nearly all nationals of these countries will be banned indefinitely, Venezuela will face gentler restrictions in comparison to the other countries.
- The restrictions are conditional and may be lifted, according to the White House.
- Unlike the initial ban that had time limits, this one is open-ended.
- The policy will be reviewed by the Supreme Court on October 10, reports Axios, and is set to go into effect on October 18.
- The U.S. Government claims the restrictions are being imposed in order to ensure the safety of Americans. “These restrictions will help prevent potential terrorists and criminals from reaching our shores,” a White House statement read.
- The new restrictions build on Executive Order 13780, which President Trump signed in March. The order restricted people from six Muslim-majority countries – Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen – from visiting the United States. The previous ban was only temporary, as U.S. government officials crafted a new, more robust policy.
- The new rules include the termination of non-immigrant visas, such as for business and tourism, for nationals of North Korea, Syria, Chad, Libya and Yemen, and suspension of all immigrant visas for nationals of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Syria, Yemen, and Somalia.
- The White House wants to ensure anyone entering the U.S. doesn’t pose a threat by limiting visitors to the country based on threat analysis, identity vetting and compliance – or lack thereof – of countries with enhanced U.S. security procedures.
- Whilst Trump’s previous ban was labelled a Muslim ban, the new restrictions don’t impact only Muslim-majority countries. However, Anthony D. Romero, the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, said: “President Trump’s original sin of targeting Muslims cannot be cured by throwing other countries onto his enemies list.”
- The five countries with the largest Muslim population in terms of total numbers and proportion of their population are not included in the ban, according to Pew Research Center. The only country among the top 10 Muslim majority countries included in the ban is Iran.